Monday, July 8, 2013

There's only one thing that I know how to do well

Today was a regular class day plus a faculty meeting at lunchtime and a program meeting coming up at 5 pm. My classes are going well and, in fact, doing parts of my job for me. My Special Topics class ("Dangerous Liaisons: Anglophone Cultures and France") had two short pieces of reading for today, but I had gotten a day ahead of myself and prepared for Wednesday's class on The Sun Also Rises. I had no notes at all on today's reading! So after some general discussion of various impressions and experiences I set the class to review both pieces and pick out the ideas they would want to highlight if they were teaching the material to a class themselves. It is a small group (5 students--small class sizes are a side benefit of study abroad) so this approach worked well; I knew we'd have time to review everyone's conclusions. They re-read everything, made and compared notes, and finally shared their best ideas. The two readings were really disparate (an essay by G. K. Chesterton and an interview from TheHairpin.com) but we found that they highlighted the same idea about experiencing a foreign culture: that slavish imitation is risky and staying true to yourself is best for a number of reasons. I hope wearing a scarf a lot more often is not too slavish. I am still true to myself but I'm true to myself with a scarf on!

During lunch we started talking about next year's trip--I can't believe we are already planning it. It looks like the dates will be roughly the same as this year's but we may structure the first week a bit differently. We are also hoping to add more students to the program. This year, there was a wait list and some students were turned away.

This afternoon after classes I looked up a post office online and went to mail my postcards. Unfortunately the automated machines would only take coins (I didn't have enough coins) or a credit card with an embedded microchip. These cards are common in Europe but only beginning to be available in the US. I was able to get one from Bank of America but not my local credit union. Most of the time I've been able to use my regular debit card with no problem; however, you occasionally run into a card machine--like the ones at la poste--that will only take a chipped card. So I'm waiting till tonight when I can go to the one at Cité and either pay in notes or use my other card. I've been following the advice that it's best to carry as little cash and as few cards as you can get away with. Good advice but with occasional inconveniences attending.

I've also been working on planning my day trip to Caen with the help of Nicole's friend Françoise. She called me earlier today and when I called her back she passed along some facts and figures about the sights we could see in Caen. About 4 students have said they are interested in going with me and I think that's a perfect size for a group. We will probably go to the Abbaye aux Hommes where William the Conqueror is buried, maybe to the Abbaye aux Dames, possibly to the château to see Impressionist art (although Françoise says the best Impressionist art is in Rouen), and hopefully out to Ouistreham to see the Atlantic coast from the other side. She is sending me the opening hours and prices for everything and then we'll have to see how much we can squeeze into a day. The train journey is only 2.5 hours so if we leave a bit early and come back a bit late we'll have plenty of time.

Program meeting is in 15 minutes and I'm desperate for a snack, so I'm going to go and look for either a fruit stand or a vending machine. Have not been able to do pictures today but don't give up hope; it will happen! À bientôt!

Ooh, ooh! Did I tell you I am going to the ballet on Wednesday? SO EXCITED.

2 comments:

  1. Nothing wrong with adopting native customs (such as scarf wearing!) if it suits you!
    Have fun at the ballet!

    ReplyDelete