Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Friends everywhere!

Spoke to a Parisian friend by phone today as we discovered this week we will not get to see each other while I'm here. That is a huge bummer but we have made a date for next year AND she gave me a bunch of recommendations for restaurants, parks, museums, etc. that are interesting but less touristique than what I've been doing so far. I suspect that as soon as a guidebook says an area is "less touristy" than other places, that area is immediately overrun. Anyway, it was splendid to be able to talk to her. We have also been trading text messages which is fun. It is so nice to be in the same time zone for a while! She is off for a much-deserved vacation soon and I get to hold down the fort here in Paris for a few more weeks. 

But! Tomorrow I am crossing the Channel via Eurostar for the first time and will spend the weekend with my Internet friend Annabel in London. I am excited to see her and to see London, where I haven't been since 1993. That was my junior year undergrad, before I really knew anything about British lit., history, etc. So it should be a great trip in all respects. I predict tons of pictures!

We had a bit of excitement this morning en route to class as there was a "security action" on the RER B line so they suspended service from Cité U. to the stop after ours (ours is Denfert-Rochereau, the next one is Port Royal, for those of you playing Mornington Crescent). Had to walk to the Institut Protestant where we have classes instead of taking the train. It was a lovely walk but if I'd seen it coming I'd have left earlier! I heard later that a "suspicious package" was left at Denfert-Rochereau but I don't think anything came of it. Security in French rail stations--and on the streets, for that matter--is a little intimidating if you aren't used to it. Some officers look like regular police but some are in camouflage fatigues with large rifles at the ready. It all makes sense in an environment where most people spend large parts of their day out on the street, in stations, or on trains. My students said today that they feel at least as safe here, if not safer, than they would in Atlanta, for instance. You do have to be smart and observant but at a certain point your brain gets accustomed to being surrounded by strangers at all times. 

Time to go check the laundry room and see if a machine is free. I've already been in twice. The one time I need to do laundry as a matter of urgency and every washer is full!

À bientôt!

No comments:

Post a Comment