Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Jardin de Luxembourg--Shakespeare's sonnets illustrated

My British Lit. class went to the Jardin du Luxembourg today. Their assignment was to choose (in advance) one Shakespeare sonnet about nature (however they chose to interpret that emphasis) and then, in the garden, take 3 photos to "illustrate" their sonnet. I gave them an hour to walk around, look at everything, take their photos, and get in some classic Parisian lounging in a green metal chair if they so desired. (I definitely desired!) Then we all met at the Medici Fountain to read the chosen sonnets and see everyone's photos. It was a good way to get them to do close reading and I think they enjoyed it. I filled in with a little history about the gardens and the French gardening style, which I love disproportionately. Call me a child of the Enlightenment, I guess? I did not do my own assignment today (sometimes I do) but I did take several photos and even managed to get them uploaded and captioned on the same day! Efficiency, that's my motto. (HA.) I have to cut this post short to go and meet colleagues over dinner so please enjoy the pictures: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjGSBXxR Parisian Accomplishments today: told someone where the toilets were; successfully navigated an encounter during which I barely understood a word my interlocutor was saying (non-native French speaker whispering in the library). Context clues FTW!

1 comment:

  1. The pictures are STUNNING!!! Just love the statuary! And the Medici fountain is quite impressive.

    ReplyDelete