Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Le Marais et al.

Still frustrated about the loss of yesterday's post about our walking tour of the Marais district. We went to see several of the 17th-century hôtels particuliers that were built by the wealthy people of the time and have since become government offices, small museums/cultural centers, and in one case a private club--we wandered into that one by accident and got reprimanded by the concierge. Oops! Along the way we also saw the Centre Pompidou (from the outside--it is closed Tuesdays), the Place de Vosges (a beautifully manicured little square that Dr. Winchester might have said is the oldest in Paris?), and a synagogue designed by the man who designed the iconic Art Deco Métro signs. His name won't come to my mind right now but it's handily engraved on the synagogue itself! Unfortunately we could not tour the synagogue because we did not have tenue correcte (appropriate dress). It seems--gauging by the people who were there--to be an Orthodox and/or Hasidic synagogue (excuse me for running rough-shod over significant distinctions). Women needed to have on sleeves below the elbow and skirts below the knee. Several of our female students were in tiny shorts and tank tops, so the concierge turned us away, but very politely. Maybe another time.

The hôtels were beautiful--all with inner courtyards that had been turned into small public parks in some cases or graveled so that employees could park. Imagine coming to work in a fancy 400+-year-old building every day! The Marais district in general is a lovely area to visit, with old, narrow streets and peaceful squares with cafés. And rowdy falafel restaurants--we ate falafel, my new favorite thing, at what turned out to be a jam-packed Jewish restaurant behind a narrow and unprepossessing facade. Since the area is not as well-known as some it is much less crowded, but there are still historic sights to see. We did not make it into the Carnavalet museum, which is the museum of the history of Paris, so I am thinking I will go Friday or Saturday.

Today turned out busy--in addition to classes I squeezed in a meeting with Dr. Kirk (site director this year) to talk about the logistics of co-site-directing next year. Dates are already set for next year's program so I am officially psyched. After classes I helped a student go to the pharmacie and get cold medicine. Buying medicine is challenging when you don't speak the language; it's one area in which everything is different and not really recognizable. Now I'm back and relaxing for a bit till it's time to leave for the ballet! We are seeing La Sylphide, which I've never seen before, so I'm extra excited. Yay!

I also got my Versailles photos quasi organized, so here is the link:  http://flic.kr/s/aHsjGAwj8T
Giverny is next (easy captioning: Flower. Flower. Flower.) and then yesterday's Marais trip, and then you will have seen everything I've seen. À bientôt!

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading about the Marais district -- I bet it was fun to imagine what it was like 300 years ago. Refreshing to get off the beaten path, so to speak. I love falafel. I think the history of Paris museum will be fascinating. I had to buy myself medicine in Finland once, so know what you mean. Have fun at the ballet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures were hugely satisfying. What strikes me about Versailles is the SCALE. And oh, Monet's garden -- would LOVE to see that. The lily pads in the water! You can see what he saw looking out on it! The DMA pulled the lily pad paintings together for an Impressionist exhibit many years ago, but still remember it well! Love your floppy hat, btw.

    ReplyDelete