Friday, July 19, 2013

London Calling

Yesterday afternoon following an excellent Eurostar experience I arrived at St. Pancras station in London and met my very own Native Tour Guide, Annabel! (See "Annabel's Travel Blog" over there in the sidebar? You should read that blog. Also her recipe blog and her sermons. Multi-talented, that Annabel.) We have known each other online for probably 10 years but this was our first face-to-face meeting and she and her husband Robert have been kind enough to let me stay at their apartment this weekend and show me the sights. Today we took a bus tour around London. Protip: take a public bus instead of a tour bus; sit up top of a double-decker one for best photos. Prepare to swing around a random, unassuming corner and have the Houses of Parliament jump out in front of you. We got off our bus near St. Mary's Hospital where the media vans are all staked out awaiting the birth of the future monarch. No sign of Their Royal Highnesses; my hosts are betting that Kate will have the baby elsewhere and the St. Mary's thing is a decoy for the press. 

We made our way back to Russell Square (just as beautiful as Helene Hanff described it) to sit down for a few minutes before meeting Annabel & Robert's daughter Emily for lunch and a visit around University of London's Senate House, where she works. It is this imposing late-30s edifice; I told Annabel it looks like it houses a totalitarian government. Very elegant on the inside with somber wood-paneled rooms and paintings of past chancellors, e.g., the Queen Mother (wearing emeralds and an academic robe at the same time). From there we went on to Pret A Manger and picked out sandwiches for lunch. I chose cheddar & pickle, which was yummy. English "pickle" is vaguely like a sweet relish or chutney and it's a great sandwich topping. I think this was the first time I'd been into a Pret that wasn't in an airport. Their selection is great and the prices are good. 

Emily had to go back to work and we went on to the National Gallery. I promised myself I'd go and visit Hogarth's "Marriage A-La-Mode" series so we sought those out first. Thank you, Mr. Hogarth, for illustrating my book centuries before I wrote it. Jan Van Eyck's "The Arolfini Marriage" is there too, so we went to see that and took in a lot of good stuff along the way. It was nice to have specific targets instead of feeling like I had to See Everything, which is too tiring!

Outside the National Gallery is Trafalgar Square where I took some good (hopefully) pictures; then we got on the Tube to visit a sari shop that Annabel knew because I'd mentioned wanting another shalwar kameez. She wasn't sure she'd remembered its location correctly but it was just around the corner from the Tube, Reshma Sarees. Bad news: they are closing! Good news: everything was 50% off! I considered many outfits, tried on two, and settled on a red-and-black one that I think I will wear to faculty convocation. Could not convince Annabel to buy anything but I did my best. 

Finally we took the bus back here and we are all relaxing--and using the wifi--before heading out for a look around Brixton Market and dinner in one of the restaurants there. It's been a Grand Day Out (Wallace & Gromit style) for sure!


No comments:

Post a Comment