Thursday, July 11, 2013

Everything was beautiful at the ballet

Through the generosity of a colleague (who wouldn't admit it but I think he wasn't really into going) I got a ticket to the Paris Opera Ballet last night to see La Sylphide. I'd never seen it, and I'd never been inside the Opéra Garnier, so it was two great experiences combined. We had "obstructed view" tickets in one of the 4th-level side boxes, way up under the roof, but even so, it was incredible. The Paris Opera Ballet is one of the most prestigious companies in the world. It trains most of its dancers in its own school so their corps de ballet has great unity of style and movement. Interestingly, though, the étoile (star--the POB's top rank) who danced the title role last night, Ludmila Pagliero, is one of the few in the company who was not trained there. Unsurprisingly, she is beautiful to watch and, I thought, perfect for the role. I loved every minute of it and so did the young women I was with, three students from the program who are all dancers themselves.

Seeing the Palais Garnier was a close second to seeing the ballet. It was built in the late 19C for the Paris Opera but, as I understand it, now hosts more dance than opera. The stage is enormous, which allows for big, elaborate corps numbers. And the whole place (okay, I did not go into the restrooms or the janitor's closet) is full of statues and gilding and marble and painted ceilings. They had to throw us out at the end because we were still at our seats taking pictures of each other! I have the pics on my phone so let me see if I can add them here.
Okay, will have to add the pictures later. Stand by! My class is visiting Shakespeare & Co., the Deux Magots, and the Flore today, so more to come. À bientôt!

No comments:

Post a Comment