Sunday, July 27, 2014

Saturday, July 26: 11 hours in Strasbourg

(written on the train back to Paris this morning)

Yesterday, events required that one of the assistant directors go to Strasbourg, and I was given the honor (or drew the short straw, depending on your point of view). By the time arrangements were arranged, it was evening and I took the TGV at 6:55 to arrive there at 9:17. It was a beautiful ride through the countryside. The TGV trains are fantastic and the barman only teased me a little for not knowing what a café viennois was (coffee with whipped cream, FYI). 

I was not on a sightseeing mission but tried to at least look around as I did what needed doing. It seems like a beautiful and very friendly city. There are medieval-style half-timbered buildings and narrow shopping arcades and of course the famous cathedral (which honestly looked creepy in the dark). Being there on short notice and with no preparation meant that I kept throwing myself on the mercy of hotel clerks, bus drivers, and in one case a pharmacist to help me get around. Everyone was very cheerful and helpful. I am sorry I was not there long enough to enjoy the city but it is definitely on my list for next year. 

When my work was done (finally), I checked into the Ibis next to the Gare Central and got a short but high-quality night's sleep. The beds at Ibis are peculiar but magically comfortable, the place was quiet as a tomb, and the combination of air conditioning (probably superfluous, come to think of it) and a duvet knocked me out in seconds. 

It was hard to wake up and shower so I could get the train back to Paris but here I am riding in first class--not because I am fancy but because it was cheaper, oddly enough! 

Still hoping to go down to the Étoile this afternoon to see the Tour de France come in. 

No comments:

Post a Comment