Monday, July 7, 2014

Monday, July 7: Conversations (Translated for Your Convenience)

Scene: Franprix grocery store, where I have gone in search (unsuccessfully) of pens and Scotch tape.

Around the corner from me, I hear a crash, followed by "Merde!"
A large but friendly-looking man comes around and addresses a nearby employee: "I dropped a jar of jam."
Employee (not listening at first): "Pardon?"
Man, starting over: "Okay, I did two things. I broke a jar of jam, and I said a bad word."


Scene: Pizzeria where I am placing an order for tomorrow night's dinner. The clerk is young and friendly and knows Dr. Guglielmi, thus he is not put off by the arrival of an American lady wanting 25 pizzas delivered. He also speaks English.

Clerk: "English or French?"
Me: "Umm . . . French, because I have to practice."
Clerk: "You are absolutely correct."
Me, realizing I'm being teased: "Thaaaaanks."
Clerk: *doubles over laughing*


Just another day at the office!

No comments:

Post a Comment