Monday, July 28, 2014

Monday, July 28: Bonus photos

Today was a regular teaching-and-meetings day, highlighted by the news that on our departure day we have to be ready to get on the bus at 2:45 a.m. TWO. FORTY. FIVE. Even if I write that French-style (2h45), it's still appalling. So let's just move on, shall we?

Saturday morning I visited the Musée Marmottan Monet but then didn't have a chance to post the pictures because other stuff came up. Both the building and the collections were donated to the Academie des Beaux-Arts on the deaths of their former owners, including, in the case of the Monet collection, Claude Monet's second son, Michel. People go for the Impressionist collections, of course, but there's also a room full of medieval illuminated manuscripts, and I probably spent the most time looking at those! It's a little off the beaten track, just off a garden called Ranelagh (a tribute to/imitation of the famous 18C English pleasure garden) via the metro stop La Muette on the #9 line. I did not know the neighborhood at all and thus was utterly flummoxed when a couple asked me if I knew where a grocery store was! They turned out to be German tourists so it was definitely the blind leading the blind. At least I redeemed myself today when someone asked me for directions in the metro. We were waiting for a southbound #4 train at Montparnasse-Bienvenue and a man wanted to know if that train would take him to Gare de l'Est. Having just done it on Saturday, I could confidently tell him that he'd need a northbound #4 to go to Gare de l'Est. I felt like a total Paris expert.

Anyway! Here, belatedly, are a few photos from around the Marmottan--none from inside the museum because they are not allowed. Click through . . .

Dr. Kirk and I have decided that this is La Fontaine

Outside the Marmottan

Another view of the exterior of the Marmottan

One-seater car!

Some great flowers in a Square behind the Marmottan

A tree was planted in memory of writers who died fighting for France.

This is the tree.

Beautiful day, flowers in bloom, Hausmann architecture doing its best as always

No comments:

Post a Comment