Thursday, August 1, 2013

The 14 Items and other clues

[Today was our final exam day with group photos at the Eiffel Tower coming up tonight. Instead of doing a daily journal post I am posting this thing about packing and travel tips that I started a while back.]

Regular readers (hi, Mom!) know that I followed a 14-item packing plan for this trip. The idea is that you take 14 pieces that can be combined into 30 outfits. Here's a list of my 14 items with notes on how they worked out:
-- Black pants: very comfortable for the plane but too heavy for the summer we ended up with here in Paris. Did not wear as much as I hoped. These probably won't make the cut for next year.
-- Khakis: been wearing a lot despite a grease stain on one leg.
-- 3 t-shirts (black, red, purple): wearing all the time, with or without a scarf, sweater, or necklace to vary the look.
-- Sleeveless print top (white/black/beige pattern): wearing a lot since it goes with everything else I brought.
-- 2 cardigans (1 grey, 1 black with a white flower print): wearing these on & off if the weather calls for it.
-- Black blazer: have only worn a couple of times and it likely won't be coming back. My white denim jacket would travel better and be cooler (in more than one sense).
-- Striped top (navy & white) with 3/4 sleeves: freakishly warm and clingy, only really goes with khakis, should never have gone into the suitcase.
-- 2 dresses (1 black, 1 aqua): worn every week.
-- White blouse: the white blouse I brought was a dingy mess and I've actually replaced it with a sleeveless one in a small flower print. Worn regularly including over my black dress (which is spaghetti strap).
-- Pencil skirt: too warm and a little too dressy. Only worn once or twice. Would rather have the same thing in denim, or a jersey or linen A-line.
-- Pleated A-line skirt: wearing all the time especially since I risked machine-washing it and it turned out okay. It is cooler and more comfortable than my other skirt.

I also brought 3 pairs of shoes: lace-up Pumas, slip-on Pumas that look vaguely like dress flats (or at least look okay with a dress), and my Fluevog heeled sandals. I'm sad to report that I have not worn the Vogs much and may not bring them back. They are comfortable for all-day wear in a car culture but not in a place where I am walking a 5K every day (it feels like). A few weeks ago I bought a pair of red Birkenstock sandals (bien soldé) and those have been giving me good service. They will definitely come back next year unless I wear them out first.

Hmm. I just counted and realized I actually have 15 items, not 14. In any case I think this approach is preferable for a long trip provided that one has access to laundry facilities, which we do here at Cité. Lufthansa limits the weight of your checked bag to 50 pounds and you will want to leave as much room as possible for souvenirs on the return trip. I was proud that my suitcase only weighed 38 pounds (or was it 32?) on the outbound side. 5 books, a pair of shoes, and some miscellaneous souvenirs later, I may be pushing it on the way back!

Here are some other packing clues I have compiled along the way:
-- Look at the fine print on your device chargers. If they say something like "110V-240V" you don't need a voltage converter, just an adapter for the plug prongs. Adapters are cheaper and take up less room.
-- If you can buy it in America you can probably buy it here. Save weight in your suitcase by buying toiletries after you arrive. (Exception: contact lens solution, which is expensive here and only available at pharmacies.) Take travel-size toiletries in your carry-on to use for the first day or two and on weekend trips.
-- You can wash almost anything with dish soap.
-- A microfiber towel is worth the investment (mine was about $15) if you have to bring your own towel somewhere. So much less bulky than a regular one.
-- Bring slippers (I have my Lands End travel slippers) or flip-flops for going down the hall to the coffee machine.

Stuff I wish I'd brought:
-- Old towel or bathmat: it's great that we have en-suite baths but the showers are tiny and the floor always gets wet.
-- A larger reusable shopping bag. Something like a duffel or large tote that packs fairly flat but has a zipper could be used for groceries, carrying laundry, and packing souvenirs on the flight home.
-- A refillable water bottle. Carrying an empty bottle across the ocean somehow seemed dumb to me but I'd have saved a lot of € by not having to buy bottled water.

Wish list--stuff to ask your family for as Christmas gifts:
-- A good camera. DSLR is the gold standard but I have a Micro Four Thirds and I love it. More compact, almost as much control as a DSLR, and (this is important) it's a lot smaller.
-- Noise-canceling headphones. Good for the plane and the dorm.
-- A sturdy but small folding umbrella and a nice-looking raincoat.
-- If you're a lady (or an open-minded dude), a purse that zips shut and stays secure under your arm or across your body.

General tips for having a better time:
-- Try to get used to walking a lot. Can you walk at a brisk pace for 30 minutes? Can you do it twice a day? Can you do it twice a day when you only slept 4 hours the night before? Okay, you're ready.
-- If you won't have a cell phone and you don't normally wear a watch, buy a watch.
-- If you will have a phone, break the habit of needing it in your hand all the time. 
-- Go to Lenox Square Mall in December. Stay until you no longer notice how crowded it is. Remember this feeling when you have to ride the Métro at rush hour.
-- Try the smelly cheese, the organ meats, the falafel, the couscous, the escargot, the Pernod, and the Ladurée. Explore and make up your own mind--it's more fun that way!

2 comments:

  1. You only need to buy drinking-water once, just before you get on the plane (are you allowed to buy it once you're through security?) If you buy a 1-litre or 750-ml bottle with a sport cap, you can make it last through the rest of your holiday.

    Travel wash works better than washing-up liquid for your clothes, less harsh and less risk of allergies.

    Best thing I ever bought was a multi-USB adaptor with space for 4 USB chargers on the back and multi-country plug adaptors on its bottom, so it can be used in USA, Europe, UK..... Then all you need are USB cables to charge your phone, camera, Kindle and tablet.

    Oh, and a Kindle and/or a tablet saves you from having to pack any books. Noise-cancelling headphones are nice but massive, and take up too much room. Folding umbrellas are available from every street corner as soon as it rains, for a euro or two; however, a folding mac that fits in its own pocket is a must, I find.

    My tip is to take a cloth shopping-bag in your hand luggage, then when you get on the plane you can put all the things you're going to want for the journey in it - kindle, water, moisturiser, neck-pillow, pashmina, whatever - and then the rest of the bag can go in the overhead locker and with any luck you won't have to get it down until you arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post! I think I packed 100 pounds when I went to CA for 5 weeks! I definitely paid a fine to the airlines. I have adopted a black, white, denim approach to travel. Have you thought about washable linen? A knee length washable linen dress in a neutral color -- maybe even red?! -- might work well. I have some vintage CP shades skirts that are great for travel.
    Have been perusing all your other posts & enjoying your pictures! I bet it's nice to have the laptop back.

    ReplyDelete