Monday, September 1, 2014

Vive le Québec libre!

The Francophile is branching out. I returned this afternoon from spending Labor Day weekend in Wentworth-Nord, Québec at my beloved Daniel's son's lake house. Québec, of course, was originally part of New France and remains a bastion of francophonie. Some people think that English is invading the province and French is losing ground, and there are a range of opinions about whether Québec would be Québec without the French language as its cultural backbone. I'm a fière québecoise (if only by marriage) and an optimist: I do think French is extremely important to the province's identity and I don't think it will die out. Everyone has something to say about the value of French and it's exciting to be in a place where people think critically about their language. Not to say that they are snobs--rather the opposite--but no one ever seems to say "Whatever!" about French the way we sometimes do on fine points of English usage. Saturday night we had a 30-minute conversation about the word la relève and whether an English equivalent exists (at length we decided on "successors"). That is this nerd's idea of fun! When I go to Québec I am very glad to be a French speaker not only to be able to communicate but also because, even more so than in France, it's a way of connecting with people. And of course that's especially important when the people in question are your in-laws!

So Daniel and I flew from Atlanta to Montréal on Friday morning, then picked up our rental car and drove to Dany and Nadine's chalet ("Chalet" sounds fancy but it is just a regular-but-great lake house) by way of St. Sauveur, a gorgeous little tourist town next to a ski area. I was a tiny bit disappointed not to spend any time in Montréal this time around but St. Sauveur and Wentworth-Nord are so pretty that I got over it quickly. Dany and Nadine have two girls, Marguerite (6) and Céleste (2 1/2). They live in Montréal but come to the chalet most weekends. We spent the weekend doing ordinary chalet things: sitting around the fire pit and talking, watching DVDs, taking pictures, entertaining the kids, swimming, NOT getting up early or hurrying to get lots of stuff done. It was a lot of fun, very relaxing, and also a great challenge for me: having to speak French the entire time. There were occasional moments of confusion: Marguerite said "Quoi?" almost every time I spoke to her and I don't think it's because she wasn't paying attention. And I still have not figured out the real word for the landing/storage area above the basement steps. It sounds like concombre ("cucumber"), so that's how I have remembered it, but I'm pretty sure it's not technically correct to say that the broom hangs on a hook in the cucumber. It's very good practice to speak French in a domestic (rather than professional or academic) situation--even if you find yourself getting corrections from a 6-year-old.

Photos after the jump! Click through . . .


La Crêperie Bretonne in St. Sauveur. We ate here with my parents almost 5 years ago. 
It's still delicious!

Québec's official motto on the license plate of our car.

It's MILK in a BAG! (inside joke for my mother--
bagged milk is a Canada thing, not strictly Québecois)

At the chalet

Daniel relaxing in the back yard

Trying out the "vignette" setting on my camera

The church in St. Sauveur

Looking out from the church steps

A Cuban festival was in progress, so obviously we danced the mambo.

On the main street in St. Sauveur

Lake Wentworth

Lake Wentworth

Lake Wentworth

No comments:

Post a Comment